Zarahlena is a Mexican-German artist who explores identity through photography, performance, and yoga. Being raised in a bi-cultural family and on two continents has allowed her to create an eclectic vision represented in her images. Both her yoga and artistic practice operate under the principle of honoring the darkness as something sacred.
Her art plays with a dualistic vision, using it as a tool for self-recognition. She has performed body suspensions, created self-portraits, and modeled extensively. She currently specializes in artistic photography, ritual art and cultural documentation. In addition to private clients, Zarahlena has worked as a photographer for the Mexican Embassy, the Ministry of Culture in Mexico, yoga studios, and cultural foundations. As an event photographer, she has documented heavy music concerts and festivals in Europe and America.
Exhibitions & Performances
- “Women Exposed”. Online Exhibition.
- “Grant Activation: Healing through collaboration”. A talk with Burning Man Project.
- China Biennial. Online exhibition. (Video screening).
- Swampfest Berlin.
- “Purify”, with Femina Non Grata, at Haema, Interdisciplinary Art Show. Berlin, Germany. (Performance)
- Coordenada Azul, at public space gallery from Universidad La Salle. Mexico City.
- Heal Her Festival, at Casa Viva. Mexico City.
- “Simetría”, at Metro Station Candelaria. Mexico City. (Project by Fundación Jorge Marin).
- “Simetría”, at Insituto Cervantes. Berlin, Germany. (Project by Fundación Jorge Marin).
- “A Night of Ritual, Performance & Body Art” hosted by Superfly Suspension Crew. Berlin.
- Luminarium Aeternus Project, at Titanen Piercing Atelier. Berlin.*
- Lupercalia. Berlin.
- “When the Heart is a Lonely Hunter”, at Mobile Kino Camp. Brandenburg, Germany. (Performance).
- “The Witch Within”, with Femina Non Grata, at Berlin Feminist Film Week. Berlin. (Performnace).
2010 – 2016
- “The Eroticism of Pain” (El erotismo del dolor), at Anual Psychology Seminar of University of San Luis Potosí, Mexico.
- No Title, at Rusty Pigfoot Tattoo, Berlin.*
- Succuba, at FERATUM Horror, Fantasy & Sci-Fi Film Festival, Michoacan, Mexico.
- No title, at Plumero Galeria, Mexico City.
- No Title, at Onirico Galeria y Taller, Mexico City.
- No title, at Escuela Activa de Fotografía, Mexico City.
- Photo Vogue Italy.
- Skin Magazine, UK.
- Eccentric Edge Magazine.
- Spleen! Journal, Mexico.